As a British manufacturer we feel a responsibility to reduce our environmental impact by striving to achieve more sustainable manufacturing processes. We work with sustainable supply chains who share our ethos to reduce their carbon footprint in the production and supply of materials. We advise our customers on the more eco-friendly options to help support them with their own sustainability targets. By working closely with our suppliers and customers, whilst continuously reviewing and improving our own practices, we are playing our part in creating a circular economy that will promote greener initiatives in our industry.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Manufacturing
Rhubarb Seating is committed to promoting sustainable manufacturing by creating products through economically-sound processes, minimising environmental impact, conserving energy and using sustainable materials where possible. To demonstrate this commitment we hold a range of accreditations and professional memberships.
Professional Memberships & Accreditations
ISO 90001 – Quality Assurance
ISO 14001 – Environmental Management
FISP – Furniture Sustainability Programme
FSC® Certified – Chain-of-Custody Certificate Holders
SATRA – Quality & Production Efficiency
Constructionline - Gold Status
Interface – Carbon Reduction Strategy to work towards net zero
(The programme is part of the accreditation process for ISO 14064 and PAS 2060)
Commercial Interiors UK – UK’s largest trade association representing the commercial interiors sector
SME Climate Hub
(a global initiative that empowers small to medium sized companies to join the United Nations Race to Zero campaign)
Rhubarb Seating Ltd respects and upholds the principles of the UN Global Compact
To download our certificates please visit our ‘Literature’ page.
SME Climate Hub Member
Rhubarb Seating is a proud member of the SME Climate Hub, a global initiative that empowers small to medium sized companies to take climate action and build more resilient businesses. Through the SME Climate Hub, we commit to lowering our impact on the environment through authentic action, halving our emissions by 2030. In making the commitment, we have joined the United Nations Race to Zero campaign.
Find out more here: https://smeclimatehub.org/how-it-works/
Thame COP Pledge
We are signed up to Thame COP, a local version of the global COP climate summit, joining forces with other businesses, schools and organisations in Thame to tackle climate change. Upon joining in 2021, we set ourselves the goal to reduce wood waste from the production of our seating products. We have delivered on this goal and are proud that our wood waste is now less than a quarter of what it was two years ago, meaning we have succeeded in reducing it by over 75%.
To read more about this initiative click here: https://thamecop.co.uk/
Our CNC machine has a direct link to our design software helping us nest components to reduce our wood waste
How we Reduce Wood Waste through Innovative Product Design
We are able to reduce our wood waste from product manufacturing by:
- Maximising the use of each board by reviewing our design and nesting of components to be cut to ensure optimum use of timber.
- Considering how the remainder of a board can be utilised once the basic product components have been cut – packaging, etc.
- Investment in software that creates a direct link from the wood CNC machine to our designer’s computer aiding him to optimise nesting.
- Any residual wood waste and saw dust is delivered to a local farm for heating.
Rhubarb is Committed to On-Going Sustainability Initiatives
We are always exploring new and innovative ways to make our products more sustainable and work with our trusted supply chain to stay ahead of the curve when recycled and low environmental impact materials and fabrics come to market. This best positions us to advise our clients on ‘green’ options and support them with their own sustainability targets when choosing seating.
As a business we have several on-going initiatives to reduce our carbon footprint:
- An agreement with ASM recycling to collect all our metal waste.
- All cardboard is baled and collected for recycling or used for packing deliveries.
- All plastic waste is carefully segregated and sent to recycling.
- Scrap foam is used for packaging.
- Larger fabric offcuts are offered to schools D&T departments and to staff to create their own products.
- We recycle bubble wrap from deliveries to package our own products.
- Bubble wrap we purchase is from recycled plastics.
- Production staff are working 40 hour, 4-day weeks to reduce travel to work and energy use by the company and we support office staff through hybrid working patterns.
- We are resourcing, where possible, product from Europe and the UK that we historically imported from the Far East.
- We are trying to deliver product, when possible, by pallet or courier to reduce the carbon footprint of deliveries.
- We have installed an electrical vehicle charging point and the two sales representatives who predominantly visit our client base have EVs.
As part of our commitment to creating a circular economy model of production and consumption, we have implemented a 20-year warranty on all of our Prima chair frames and 15-year warranty on our Prima beam frames.
Speak to us about our refurbishment programme, whereby the foams and the upholstery can be refreshed every 5 years to prolong the lifetime value of the product, reducing waste.